The Index optiones enables you to control how directories on your website are displayed. If there is no index.html file in a given directory, the contents of that directory will be displayed in a browser. This is typically undesirable and can cause security issues.
With Indexes, you can set your account up to not allow your directory contents to be shown.
1. Click the Indexes icon under Advanced.
2. Navigate to the directory you want to setup Index Manager for. For this example, let’s setup Index Manager for a directory called Demo. Click on the Demo directory.
3. There are 4 settings to choose from:
- default system setting – allows the directory contents to be shown
- no indexing – does not allow directory contents to be shown
- standard indexing (text only) – prevents browsers from viewing the contents or directories that do not contain image files
- fancying indexing (graphics and text) – prevents browsers from viewing the contents of directories that do contain image files
In this case, we do not want the contents of this directory shown, so choose the No Indexes option.
4. Click the Save button.